Part of Henry's extension of the Tower perimeter to the north, the present tower is largely a nineteenth-century reconstruction. The origin of the name is not known, but is believed to derive from its being faced with flintstone.
The far less luxurious treatment given to some prisoners can be seen by today's visitor to this tower a reconstruction of the rack, on view with other torture instruments. Evidence suggests that these were employed in the basement of the White Tower.
The Crown Jewels were housed in the Martin Tower from 1669 until 1841, when the Grand Storehouse fire nearly destroyed them, The tower still contains many features from the sixteenth to nineteenth centuries.