Heritage > British Castles
The Billiard Room
This room, built between 1773 and 1776, is situated immediately above the great ki tchen and houses what is left of the extensive library once at Glamis and which was dispersed a long time ago. Nevertheless some interesting volumes remain.
The plaster ceiling with its monograms and coronet reminiscent of the ceiling in King Malcolm's Room (the next room to be seen) does not date from the 18th century but was made for the 13th Earl in 1903 to commemorate his Golden Wedding. The huge fireplace which so well befits this room was brought here from Gibside, one of the s eats of the Bowes family in County Durham. It bears the coats of arms of the Blakistons of Gibside, whose heiress Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Francis Blakiston, 3rd and last baronet, married Sir William Bowes of Streatlam Castle. The 9th Earl married Sir W illiam's granddaughter, Mary Eleanor, heiress to extensive property in the North of England which strengthened the Lyon family's ties in that area.
This light, beautifully proportioned room has no feeling of menace and only emanates friendliness. Pro minent above the large l9th century Gillow serving table is 'The Fruit Market' - a huge painting attributed to the great Flemish animal and still-life painter Frans Snyders. The tapestries depicting scenes from the life of King Nebuchadnezzar are very rare, the only other known sets being at Knole in Kent and at Powys Castle in Wales. They were made about 1680 in England and are attributed to Thomas Poyntz.
Above the fireplace hang the colours of the 2nd Battalion The Scots Guards, laid up in 1988, and a Bowes Lyon banner.