Heritage > British Castles
The Ballroom Room
The Ballroom, built in 1876/7 by the 7th Duke whose portrait by Sir James Guthrie hangs above the stage, contains a collection of weapons, drums, chain armour and other souvenirs brought back from the Sudan campaign by his son the 8th Duke. He, when Marquis of Tullibardine, is shown to the left of the musicians' gallery as one faces it in the uniform of the Scottish Horse which regiment he raised and commanded in South Africa, and also in Gallipoli during the First World War. This portrait is also by Sir James Guthrie. On the other side of the door is a portrait of the Duchess, by George Henry. Above the stage also hangs Sir Henry Raeburn's portrait of Neil Gow, the celebrated fiddler who was musician to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Dukes. The small portraits on the left of the stage are of Lord George Stewart-Murray and the 9th Duke, the two younger sons of the 7th Duke.
In the centre of the room is a model of the planned Dunkeld Palace, while children will enjoy the large display of toys and games, some of them dating back to the 18th century. As the Ballroom is used from time to time for exhibitions, this display may be re-arranged in the Larch Passage occasionally.
It is pleasant to know that this room is still used for Highland balls. It is also used regularly for concerts, receptions and dinners and has been the venue for Grant's World Piping Championships for a number of years.